Codfish Minhota Style is based on Salted Codfish which is important for the Portuguese gastronomy, even its not available on the local shore. Portuguese are the main consumers of cod with more than 6 kgs per year / person.
Only on XIX century the ingredient started to be common on Portuguese cookbooks. Olive oil is important also along the codfish. It gives an amazing flavor during the cooking process or as decoration and taste when served.
Visiting Portugal, you will have available hundreds of dishes available based on codfish. Other main ingredients on the most of the recipes are: onions, olive oil, salt and bayleaf.
Codfish Minhota Style Recipe
(for 4 people)
4 codfish stands
4 small onions
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
4 cups flours
4 tablespoons paprika
1L olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Season the codfish stands with salt and black pepper to taste.
2. Peel and slice the onions. Take the seeds out from the bell peppers and cut them into slices.
3. Cover the bottom of a pan with olive oil and the onion, season them with salt and pepper to taste, cook them in medium heat until soften and golden. Take them out and cook the bell peppers in the same olive oil till tender.
4. Peel and slice the potatoes thinly, deep fry them in olive oil until golden and crunchy.
Put the flour and paprika together.
5. Coat the codfish stands with the flour and deep fry them in the same olive oil where you cooked the potatoes. Take the stands out when golden and tender.
Feel free to share the recipe of Codfish Minhota Style on your favorite social networks. Cooking Lisbon is present on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Google Plus . Share and tag us.